You know your home needs an update, but the hassles of daily life seem to prevent you from ever taking that first step. Here are some ideas for how to make your next home remodel project go as smoothly as possible.
1. Determine your goals. Do you want to modernize your décor? Make better use of the space you have? Get your home ready to sell? Your goals will help direct the course of your project. Spend time thinking and outlining what you want the end result to be of your remodeling project.
2. Hire a professional. Sure, home remodeling looks fun when you see it on tv, but most of the time you are watching people who are remodeling as a full-time job. A licensed and insured construction contractor will make sure you have all the necessary permits and details in order. Be sure to choose a trustworthy contractor with experience and good recommendations to avoid disasters.
3. Consider portable storage. Trying to find space for all of your “stuff” during a remodel may cause more stress than the remodel itself. Rather than trip over boxes for the duration of your project, consider renting a portable storage unit. This also protects your items free of the dust and debris that is inevitable during a remodeling project. You can keep the unit on your property or have it stored elsewhere during the project.
4. Don’t be in a hurry. If you’d like your project done by a certain date, allow for at least six months prior to that event to schedule a quality contractor and complete the project. Hurried projects often result in haphazard decisions and unnecessary stress. You do not want to regret aspects of the remodel you’ve waited so long to complete.
5. Set a realistic budget. You’re not going to get a custom-designed room at a bargain price. Investing in quality craftsmanship and fixtures will pay off over time. Also, keep in mind that most remodeling projects add a significant amount of value to a home. Look for ways to trim back on lifestyle indulgences for a few months and look for financing available through your mortgage lender if you aren’t available to afford the up-front cost of remodeling.
6. Remember: it will be worth it. Take the time to envision what the project will be like when it’s done and how much joy you’ll receive from having it finished. Celebrate the project’s completion by having friends over to show off your new home updates.
The professionals at ML Taylor Construction are here to make your home custom Taylor’d to meet your dreams. Contact us for an on-site consultation and estimate.